Finally I’m getting around to posting a rebuttal of John C. Dvorak’s Eight Reasons Your Web Connection Should Be Metered. He claims the current all-you-can-eat model can’t continue much longer, and is stupid. I assume Dvorak is talking about measuring every bit and byte that is sent across your connection, when he talks about metering (he mentions “metering the Web”).
1. Elimination of bandwidth caps, restrictions, and throttling
2. Promotion of higher speeds
3. Moderate users would pay less than they pay now
4. Download junkies would pay for their habit
- video conferencing
- internet telephony
- video downloads (like AppleTV)